New York Times
OCT. 26, 2014
CAIRO — A group of Egyptian newspaper editors pledged Sunday to limit their criticism of state institutions, a day after Egypt’s president, Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, warned of a “conspiracy” behind a militant attack last week that killed at least 31 soldiers.
The editors said they condemned the attack, which occurred on Friday in the Sinai Peninsula, while promising to confront the “hostile culture toward the national project and the foundations of the Egyptian state.”
The statement raised the likelihood of growing limits on dissent, and appeared to be an attempt to please Mr. Sisi, who drastically sharpened his own tone on Saturday in dealing with the simmering Islamist insurgency centered in the Sinai Peninsula that escalated after the military takeover in July 2013.
In discussing Friday’s attack — the deadliest assault on the Egyptian military in years — Mr. Sisi grew visibly angry, vaguely blaming foreign plots that he said sought to “break Egypt’s will.”